Peace Hugs

Kate Anne, communikating on multi-levels -- personal and political, as well as for peace, justice and nonviolence

Friday, May 19, 2006

Human Rights & Political Fundraising

Two different yet excellent events were held this past week. The inspiring Reebok Human Rights Awards ceremony at NYU's Skirball Center was on Wednesday, May 17th, and the Spring Fundraiser for Queens Assemblymember Catherine Nolan a/k/a Cathy Nolan at Sunnyside's Dazie's Restaurant was on Thursday, May 18th.

When Dr. Shubh Mathur told me that Chiragh's nominee Khurram Parvez had been selected as one of the winners, I was pleased. Invited to the ceremony, however, I was surprised how inspiring such an event could be. Khurram was honored for being a "courageous voice of peace and human rights in Kashmir". And I was pleased not only to learn more of his story (and meet him at the dinner afterwards) but also to hear the stories of the other award winners, Otto Saki from Zimbabwe, Li Dan of China, and Rachel Lloyd of the USA.

And then there was the fundraiser for Assemblymember Cathy Nolan -- truly one of the, if not THE, best assemblymembers in the New York State Assembly. I got there too late to see gubernatorial candidate Eliot Spitzer but was pleased to hear Matilda Cuomo, wife of former governor Mario Cuomo and Lieutenant governor candidate State Assemblymember David Paterson. I love this picture of Matilda with Cathy and Dazie's owner, Lily Gavin

Dazie's main room was packed! So many were there to support Cathy. Among my favorites, though, were my friends Jimmy Van Bramer and Joan DeCamp, both hard working grass-roots Democratic activists. I got a picture of Jimmy, posted with my Political Pix at www.flickr.com/photos/kateannenyc but I missed a shot of Joan!! Still, I spoke with some great folk, including Nubia Holzherr and Anne Baumann-Weiss and Mannie Wilson, whose pix I did get (see FlickR). (You can tell I am having fun with FlicR, yes?)

I have also posted pictures on FlickR of some of the great folk I met at the Reebok Human Rights Awards ceremony and dinner following. From Holland there was activist Marjan Lucas who knows the Muzaffar Family. What a terrific family! Fatima Muzaffar is so loving -- and her daughter Rubia Muzaffar is so beautiful. Her father Raja Muzaffar was there with his brother Nazoor Muzaffar. I met dentist Dr. Nazir Sofi who will be returning to Kashmir at the end of the month to continue his work. And there were more, including New York City peace and justice activist Adam Carroll who has a great smile, but you wouldn't know it from my photos. And I was so pleased to have a few minutes speaking with honoree Khurram Parvez. Quite a week last week! Very busy and this is late being posted. But I didn't want to not mention these people who have touched my life. I am very grateful to my friend Shubh Mathur for encouraging me to go to what was not a mundane awards ceremony (and getting me into the dinner afterwards :-)

Peace hugs,
Kate Anne

2 Comments:

At 5/25/2006 08:29:00 AM, Blogger Kate Anne said...

Oh, I see this kept the original date of when I started to write the post -- which I had saved to finish and edit, hence "last week". Hmmmmm. Busy, busy, busy....

 
At 5/05/2018 05:46:00 AM, Blogger SathishKumar said...

Create and Manage Unlimited Political Fundraising Pages in Minutes
Political Fundraising Website

 

Post a Comment

<< Home