Peace Hugs

Kate Anne, communikating on multi-levels -- personal and political, as well as for peace, justice and nonviolence

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Hurrah for Feingold and his Resolution to Censure Bush

Thank God for a few Democrats with integrity who know what Dems should be about, and especially for Russ Feingold who introduced yesterday his resolution in the Senate to censure George W. Bush:

"Mr. President, when the President of the United States breaks the law, he must be held accountable. That is why today I am introducing a resolution to censure President George W. Bush.

The President authorized an illegal program to spy on American citizens on American soil, and then misled Congress and the public about the existence and legality of that program. It is up to this body to reaffirm the rule of law by condemning the President’s actions.

All of us in this body took an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States and bear true allegiance to the same. Fulfilling that oath requires us to speak clearly and forcefully when the President violates the law. This resolution allows us to send a clear message that the President’s conduct was wrong.

And we must do that. The President’s actions demand a formal judgment from Congress."
[more at title link]


I calmly called Senator Hillary Clinton and Senator Chuck Schumer. Their DC office numbers being busy (good sign!), I called their local numbers and told them how pleased I was with Senator Feingold's action and asked whether or not they would be joining Senator Feingold in support of censure. Neither office was ready to give a comment. My message was that they should, that the president's actions were illegal and that he should indeed be held accountable. Will Hillary go out on a limb for justice and behind a possible competitor to the 2008 presidential nomination? I am not holding my breath. Will Chuck go out on that limb without Hillary? I sadly suspect not likely, but hey, both of them voted for the misnamed rights-obstructing PATRIOT Act. What do I expect? Still, I had to tell them how I feel or they can't say no one called about censure. I certainly hope more do. Read the statement and call your Senators. Speak calmly, politely, but strongly. And let's keep speaking up until they HAVE to hear us.

Meanwhile, I have a thank you note to Senator Russ Feingold. He's got courage and vision. And along with Al Gore, he's on my list for President in 2008.

Peace hugs,
Kate Anne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home